Citrus Glazed Duck Breast with pickled pear, salad leaves & soft Goats cheese.
Generous for 4 people, still plenty for 6 and don’t worry, it is very easy. Only three easy elements assemble and no special culinary skills required. It’s a flavour explosion and a taste revelation when accompanied by a glass of 2021 HAWKSHEAD ‘Reserve’ Pinot Noir.
- 2 firm pears, skin on or off, cored & sliced
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- 3 black peppercorns
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
Mix all ingredients together and bring to the boil. Add sliced pears and boil for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and cool the pears in the pickling liquid.Roasted Butternut Squash - Pre heat oven to 180 C.
Peel, de-seed and cut the butternut in bite size squares. Coat with olive oil fresh thyme and season with salt & pepper.
Roast for 20 minutes or until tender.
- 1 ½ oranges juiced & zested (keep the other ½ for the the duck glaze)
- 1 lemon juiced & zested
- 1 TBS honey
- 2 TBS Dijon mustard
- 3 TBS water
- 2 TBS Apple Cider vinegar
Whisk all ingredients together.
Yes, there is no oil, which makes it really refreshing.
- ½ an orange, juiced & zested
- 3 TBS brown sugar, mix well
Citrus Glazed Duck Breast
- 2 Duck breast
- Pre heat oven to 180 C.
- Pat the duck breast dry with a paper towel.
- With a sharp knife score the skin and season well with salt & pepper.
- Place the duck skin side down in a cold pan with no oil.
- Turn on the pan to a medium heat and gently cook for 8-10 minutes until the fat is rendered and the skin is golden and crispy. Don’t rush this step.The duck will release a lot of fat great for roasted vegetables.
- Turn over the duck breast and sear for 1 minute.
Remove duck from pan, baste with glaze and cook for 8 more minutes at 180 C, rest for 6 min before slicing against the grain.
Drizzle duck with any additional glaze once sliced.
Drizzle a little dressing over the whole dish.